How can we convince small businesses to evolve their online marketing strategies?
There is a large misconception—I have found—on the part of small businesses and start-ups nowadays that the Internet is a less-than-ideal channel for marketing products or services. Yet, online marketing statistics are against this thought. While these statistics are both jaw-dropping and blatantly obvious to me, I must assume that small business owners are either unaware of the facts, believe themselves to have too little resources, or have tried participating in the online arena with little success. Whatever the reason, I hope they reconsider:
- 23% of the total time spent online is spent searching for products, services, and information
- 85% of consumers search for local businesses online (Arguably, the remaining 15% are those who I wish to persuade)
- 91% of consumers who use search find what they’re looking for
- However, over 60% of small businesses do not have a website and nearly 30% of the remaining do not show up in search results
- And, 83% of the businesses who participate online say that online marketing—social media, SEO, advertising, and the like—are vital to their success
There is an unlimited supply of content in existence that touts the benefit of online marketing, and an overwhelming amount of content that peddles the business value of social media (a term often used synonymously with “online marketing”). It is clear that people believe in the power of the Internet; however, what is not clear is how small businesses—with limited time and knowhow—can effectively transition. It is even more unclear that the process of transitioning does not have to be costly or time-consuming.
Online marketing can be easy. It can be done in a simple way as effectively as it can with the overly-complicated, ROI-infused strategies of big corporations. And, it does not have to cost your business much money at all. (In case you couldn’t tell—which I hope you couldn’t—I made the above video in Microsoft PowerPoint.)
My question to you…
What barriers do you–as a small business–or your clients face in regards to marketing online? And, how do you overcome these barriers?
Use the comment box below to share your thoughts!